John Keats - 1795-1821

John Keats - 1795-1821
A thing of beauty is a joy for ever: Its loveliness increases; it will never Pass into nothingness; but still will keep A bower quiet for us, and a sleep Full of sweet dreams, and health, and quiet breathing …

Thursday 30 August 2007

PRINCESS DIANA


On the 31st August 1997 while I was arousing from my sleep , my husband brought me a cup of tea in bed, not something I hasten to add does he do quite frequently, however, I was grateful for the brew. I had just finished working four night shifts at the hospital. My husband sat on the edge of the bed and told me the sad news of Princess Diana, I broke down, the ever emotional type.


Today there is going to be a Memorial Service to Commemorate Princess Diana's life. I too believe that she was an extraordinary woman who touched the lives of millions, as the Prime Minister wrote at the weekend, but I argue the opinion of the feminist Germaine Greer who said Diana was a "devious moron" desperate for attention.


Diana's status as a fetching international celebrity involved charitable works, and the public sympathy she engendered in the long. When she took over as a Patron of the Children's Charity Barnado's, she attended sixteen events in one year alone, more than the previous Royal who only attended once in a year. Diana touched the lives of many, and had the ability to make everybody feel special, particularly vunerable young people, who felt her warmth and affection.


People either loved Diana or they loathed her, I think there were many who did not understand her, and I have heard critics say that Diana did not understand herself even. I wonder though, if that tragic fatal accident in Paris had not occured, and Diana had been happy in her marriage to her Prince Charming, she would have eventually reigned The Queen Of Hearts over our nation.


The picture is of Princess Diana and a young girl at a Charity Cancer Event.


My Poem


THE ROSE


I grew a Rose, a Pink Rose in my garden

I grew a Pink Rose so lovely to see;

I watched as it changed from sweet bud to

fulfillment

Meaning to pluck it, and give it to thee.


Delicate, fragrant, with beauty so deep,

Caressed by the warm sun, kissed by the rain,

Lovely the Rose that I grew in my Garden,

Alas, for the Pink Rose, it grew there in vain.


For oft did I tell the Pink Rose of thy beauty,

But with such beauty it could not compete;

Slowly it faded, it's fragrance departed,

Sadly it's petals then fell at my feet.


For such is thy beauty, that none can compare,

Not even sweet Angels in Heaven would dare,

Could ye walk through Fair Eden, I know there

would be,

Each bloom with it's head bowed

In deference to thee.


Camilla.x


18 comments:

bodran... said...

You know i've only just realised the date of her death is the same as my mums, but she went in 1999...she liked diana, eyes filling..! xxo

Anonymous said...

That was a beautiful poem.

Crystal xx

palomino said...

What a lovely blog and such a beautiful poem. I often think that the day she dies was one of those occasions in time , where everyone can say where they were when they heard the news . I recall getting up groggily that morning to feed Zac his weetabix, turning on the television for the teletubbies, and then yelling up the stairs to Ian in disbelief . He didn't believe me either .

Milkmaid said...

It's a bit of a Kennedy moment, I was too young for that, but most do remember hearing about Diana
How I feel about her is a different matter and whether we ordinary folk will ever get to know the truth about her life is debatable, my opinion is somewhere in between the Pm and Germaine Greer, as for her death I absolutely do not buy into any conspiracy theories

Sally Townsend said...

Lovely poem Camilla x

Frances said...

Hello Camilla, and many thanks for the beautiful poem.

Just about all my NY pals and I were also very affected by Diana's early death.

There was a lot of watching cable television coverage of subsequent developments.

I was then still working in a big law firm, and I also remember lots of heated arguments about various reactions to the entire Royal concept.

Best wishes. Please do let us read more poetry!

xo

Unknown said...

Beautiful poem Camilla. I liked Diana too. I was staying at my friend's house (male) at the time of her death and didn't want to show how upset I was. Don't know how I got through the funeral without crying.

Faith said...

Camilla, that is such a lovely poem. You are very clever to write poetry like that. I think we ought to have a poetry page at Purplecoo, I really do.

About Diana - I liked her. I felt an affinity with her. She married very young like me the first time and had her first child roughly the same age as me. My mother used to say I looked like her - I have to say she got blonder, slimmer and more glam and I just got fatter and frumpier!

Exhub2 came up in the middle of the night or whenever the first news broke in the UK and told me that Dodi had died and Diana was injured. I remember saying 'She'll be alright' and fell back asleep. He came up again in the early morning and said she had died. I got straight out of bed - unheard of for me - and went down. Some may think it was overly emotional but looking at the tv I just collapsed to my knees saying 'Oh those poor boys!' and burst into tears. We were in London the night before her funeral and saw her coffin come down the Mall. We watched it on tv the next day, tears rolling down our faces.

Your blog is a sweet tribute to a beautiful, well loved woman,and thanks for writing it.

CAMILLA said...

Thank you so much for your kind comments. Faith, I do believe we could be kindred spirits, thank you. I went out on my community rounds early this morning, one of the patients I nurse is quite elderly. While I visit her she likes to have a conversation, as she feels quite lonely. I happened to bring up the subject of Diana, and she went beserk, screaming out, "dont you ever mention that woman's name to me again"! Crikey, I thought, wish I had not brought the subject up now, she had all praise for Prince Charles though, so kept my lips zipped from then on.

Camilla.x

toady said...

I think Diana's death was a tragedy - and that from a staunch anti-royalist! Every generation needs it's icons and I think I'd rather have people looking up to someone like Diana than what's on offer now - Posh, Jade,WAGs? Who is there? Without her, even divorced, the royal family are the poorer. Charles and Camilla are a laughing stock and I fear the boys are just turning into better looking versions of their father.
Toady

Milkmaid said...

Having only caught the very end of the memorial service as it over ran into the news, i just wondered what had happened to the Royal family, did William and Harry double kiss all 500 people that came out of the service? Can't say that they are not into showing affection now!!

Cait O'Connor said...

I have been eagerly waiting for a blog from you Camilla and I am not disappointed. This one is so lovely and the poem is a jewel.
I agree with every word you have written, Diana was indeed special and I write as a complete ant-royalist. I was very moved by Harry's spoken words at the service today, not least because my mother and I were parted and she too died tragically young.
The day Diana died M and I were just about to go to Ireland for a holiday, I think I cried all day and the reaction all over Ireland was the same (and you can't call them royalists!).....the talk was of nothing else all week. We watched the funeral on Irish TV and it was very moving (more tears for me). I too felt an affinity with her, I feel we had much in common, unhappy childhood, relationship problems etc.
Keep writing, I look forward to the next blog. Have you had any poems published? Faith's idea of a poetry page is a great idea.

Westerwitch/Headmistress said...

We were on Holiday in Scotland and packing up ready to leave when we heard the news . . . HS walked in saying 'have you heard the news Princess Diana has died' . . I though it was a joke and was waiting for the punch line . . .

I remember seeing a picture of Diana getting into her car after going to the gym and the paperazzi had got a close up of her legs declaring that she has cellulite . . . I remember thinking how cruel is that - she is a person with feelings . . . but that is the press for you.

I too liked Diana although we only really new her from the media, but she came across as a lovely lady.

Cait O'Connor said...

Hi again Camilla,
If you go to my blog there is something there for you.
Caitx

Posie said...

I have to say I really liked Diana, I think her heart was in the right place and she did a lot of good work. A lovely poem and tribute.

annakarenin said...

Another beautiful poem I do love to read them, a gift.

I have always had mixed feelings about Diana but believe that both she and Charles let their sons down badly when they aired their marriage problems so publicly. The boys were young and what their parents resorted to was in my view inexcusable. I do remember though the feeling of disbelief when Mike told me she had died, I was 8 months pregnant with my eldest at the time.

Inthemud said...

Hello Camilla,
Beautiful poem, I awoke that morning to thr radio just playing music and was so confused as normally it's talk station, then the news came through, I couldn't believe it.
It was also my F-i-Laws birthday, so had to put on bright face, for the festivities. He's not with us any more died 6 yrs ago.

Anonymous said...

ory to hear about robbie camilla, hope all is well now , please let me know how you are getting on with him. hugs kath x