John Keats - 1795-1821

John Keats - 1795-1821
A thing of beauty is a joy for ever: Its loveliness increases; it will never Pass into nothingness; but still will keep A bower quiet for us, and a sleep Full of sweet dreams, and health, and quiet breathing …

Saturday 29 March 2008

SERENITY OF LIFE




Busy - that's how most of us define our lives. Rarely do we slow down enough to collect our thoughts, feel the earth beneath our feet, or just let the wonder of existence wash over us. Yet calm moments are vital to our physical, mental, and spiritual well being.


For centuries, poets and philosophers have spoken of the universal desire for serenity - for those fleeting tranquil moments when the whirl of life slows down long enough for our blessings to come into focus. The electronic age has given us the ability to do more and more, faster and faster; at the same time, our need for a balance between work and leisure, action and reflection, has not diminished at all. In fact, since modern life is so fraught with stress and worry, our need for serenity has grown.


A quiet moment with a child, the satisfaction of a job well done, a chat with a friend, a span of time alone to think and dream - serenity is a million different things to a million different people. Yet, fundamentally, it is the same for us all - the need for an uninterrupted slice of time in which we can appreciate the world around us and listen to the world inside us, and pray for PEACE too.


Here is a poem that I came across by the Poet - JOHN RUSKIN


To watch the corn grow, and the blossoms set;

To draw hard breath over ploughshare or spade;

To read, to think, to love, to hope, to pray - these

Are the things that make (us) happy.


MY HOMEWORK


I have been tagged by the lovely Elizabethd to write 7 things about myself, thank you Elizabeth.

Think I have done this before but will give it a go again, not sure what I wrote previously.


I have been known to be 'labelled' - eccentric, away with the fairies, from another planet, and as mad as a hatter - that's alright by me, at least I'm not boring I say, like to stand out in a crowd.


The totality of my individual behaviour in life is very passionate and intense, this can be at a disadvantage for me when feelings and emotions are at a low, but wonderful when I am normally on a high. As by nature I am truly so enthusiastic about life, living with a depressive as I do, sometimes rubs off on me.


I have a fear of the dark and will not venture or drive out in the dark unless I really have to, something I found hard when doing night shifts at the hospital years ago. Not sure why I have this fear, as a child I cannot relate to any bad occurence.


I am left handed, I like the idea that the reason for this was because my Mother used to say that she carried me as a baby on her left hip.


I was knocked down by a car when I was twelve crossing the road and reading a book, I survived but could have been more serious, told you I had a love of books.


I am a hoarder of Artwork, there is something quite wonderful about an artists creativity hanging on one's wall.


Others believe me to be quite straight laced, and slow in coming forward, a tad serene, but if anyone gets the better of me, I can give them a run for their money.!


I live in HOPE.


If after you have read this and you would like to give it a go, be my guest.






11 comments:

Cait O'Connor said...

Oh... I am glad I am the first to comment. A wonderful blog to start my Sunday.
Every word could apply to me except for the fear of the dark and the left handed bit. The last piece is me to a 'T'.
(You were saved by your guardian angel too).
I loved your words on serenity.

Westerwitch/Headmistress said...

Aw Camilla it is so true we often don't take the time to look around us. Often guests arrive here and wax lyrical about the beauty of the place and I stop and look and think yes it IS beautiful and I too often just don't take the time to see it.

Good grief run over . . .oh Camilla how awful I hope you weren't badly hurt.

I live life in the extreme ie either very up, or down and like it that way too . . . perhaps it is part of being creative.

Lovely blog - thank you.

Pondside said...

That was a very interesting list, Camilla. I was surprised to realize - that it didn't surprise me at all! How could I have understood those things about you? I think it must be that after a year of reading your owl posts, some of who you are (with the exception of your being a southpaw,afraid of the dark and having been run over by a car!)has come through to me.

Frances said...

Hello Camilla,
Your understanding of the value of serenity and your gentle way of sharing it with us every day are so appreciated.
I don't think I knew that you are left-handed. I am, too!
Again, thanks to you for all that you contribute to this site.

Elizabethd said...

Lovely, Camilla. We do so need serenity in our lives, and unless one makes time it is hard to find a tranquil moment.
I'm sure you arent in the least eccentric. You have always come across as a very caring person.

Faith said...

Serenity is a lovely word in itself. I read a book once and the baby-nurse was called Serenity.

I suppose you reading a book and nearly being run over is the equivalent of kids with ipods or whatever stuck in their ears. Thank goodness you were not hurt, it must have been very traumatic.

Inthemud said...

Yes, indeed a wonderfulblog, sorry I've not visited sooner camilla, but been a busy week.
Reading whilst walking along road that could have been me , I used to do that too! Sorry to hear you got hit by car, glad you were ok. Yes you must have had a guardian angel.

I 'm not fond of pitch dark, hence we always have landing light on at night, i get quite worried if it fuses in the night and goes dark, wakes me up! Though I love a darl starry night.

CAMILLA said...

Thank you so much for your kind comments.

Elaine - I too have to have a little lamp burning in the hallway at night, a low energy one.

Camilla.xx

Pipany said...

A lovely bog Camilla which I have come to rather late as I am behind on reading blogs yet again.

Isn't serenity a pretty word? xx

Milla said...

very interesting. Always wanted to be left handed. NOT afraid of the dark, used to practise (when little) being blind so went around in the dark a lot. What might BE in the dark, hmm, another matter. Love real art on the wall, we have a lot of my father's marvellous paintings. I've been run over too. Have been meaning to do this 7 thing but haven't got round to it, because did 8 last year (2008 clearly anti-inflationary)

Milla said...

very interesting. Always wanted to be left handed. NOT afraid of the dark, used to practise (when little) being blind so went around in the dark a lot. What might BE in the dark, hmm, another matter. Love real art on the wall, we have a lot of my father's marvellous paintings. I've been run over too. Have been meaning to do this 7 thing but haven't got round to it, because did 8 last year (2008 clearly anti-inflationary)