John Keats - 1795-1821

John Keats - 1795-1821
A thing of beauty is a joy for ever: Its loveliness increases; it will never Pass into nothingness; but still will keep A bower quiet for us, and a sleep Full of sweet dreams, and health, and quiet breathing …

Sunday 24 February 2008

GOOD HOUSEKEEPING



I have been tagged by the lovely Cait to write some HOUSEHOLD TIPS - here goes then.


Housework can be such a negative thing, no matter how many times one dusts and cleans, at the end of the day one never really has anything to show for their life's work, but we like to keep our home spic and span.


I like to keep a tidy home, but not a show home, I like it to be well lived in with rugs, numerous cushions, huge amount of artwork with jugs of flowers in each room. Another importance for me is table lamps, I do not have a passion for stark bright ceiling lights. Many a day or evening you will be able to spot heaps of books and Magazines strewn all over the floor, when they should be back in their pile on table or side by side on various book shelves.


I am allergic to certain chemicals so try to use natural remedies if at all possible. White Vinegar is always to hand, this I use to wash glass windows, and always get a smear free finish.


I have always used Lemon Juice for stain removing, good for using on carpets, or plastic, I usually dilute the Lemon Juice, but one can use neat also.


My furniture which is mainly Walnut and Mahogany, is rubbed over with a good tin of Wax Polish, but one can use a solution of Vinegar and Water first, then just buff up after with the Polish.


Although the dishwasher which is used quite frequently, now and again crockery does end up in the kitchen sink. To keep your stainless steel sink clean and shiny just use some Olive Oil on a soft cloth. Again by using the Lemon, this can make your taps shine and sparkle.


There is nothing worse than a grubby toilet, we all might loathe cleaning them, but of course vital they are kept clean. Many bleaches are used I know, but if you use Borax for cleaning out the toilet, it is environmentally friendly, anti-bacterial, helps to remove stains, and is effective also a deodoriser. Sorry chaps, but men always have a habit of keping the toilet seat up, best to keep it down, as by doing this it avoids catapulting germs around newly cleaned bathroom when flushing the loo.


Lastly, rather than Air Freshener, if you place a fabric softner sheet in the wastepaper basket, or add a dab of fragrence on a light bulb, this gives good effect, also when lightbulb is switched on, the heat releases the aroma, this good tip given to me by a very good friend of mine.


Now after all that cleaning think you deserve a glass of wine, and feet up with a good book, oh nearly forgot, white wine is very useful for keeping your glass shower doors free from stains and limescale.


Happy Good Housekeeping everyone, a chore I know, but someone's got to do it, and what better way than to stick an Ipod in your ear, and listen to a favourite piece of music while you are whizzing around in your Pinny and Marigolds.

4 comments:

Cait O'Connor said...

Wow is all I can say, I have picked up so many good tips, thanks. I am with you on bright lights and flowers in the house and mags all over the floor(and I am allergic to chemicals like you are).
Lovely pics too.

Milla said...

totally with you on the table lamps. Lighting is very hard to get right, but a good place to start is with lamps.

Westerwitch/Headmistress said...

Brilliant. You really do have some good and yet simple tips.

For the windows do you dilute the white vinegar.

Ah never thought of Olive oil for stainless steel.

Sorry though if you put the toilet seat down it still squirts out the side - - I blogged about it on the other side.

CAMILLA said...

Thank you Cait, Milla, and Westerwitch.

Westerwitch - Re windows, sorry, yes dilute the Vinegar, but not too much.

I always keep toilet seat down, think we gals do anyway, sometimes chaps do not, I know my HL does not. Some may squirt out of sides, but better than having seat up anyway when it does.