John Keats - 1795-1821

John Keats - 1795-1821
A thing of beauty is a joy for ever: Its loveliness increases; it will never Pass into nothingness; but still will keep A bower quiet for us, and a sleep Full of sweet dreams, and health, and quiet breathing …

Thursday 14 February 2008

A BOOK MEME



BOOK MEME

I am to do a Book Meme, I have been tagged by the lovely Muddie, I like a bit of fun so here goes:

1 Pick up the nearest book (of at least 123 pages)
2 Open the book to page 123
3 Find the fifth sentence
4 Type the next five
5 Tag five people

Drum roll please, ta da....

I have picked up:- The Gowk Storm by the Author Nancy Brysson Morrison - published by Canongate.

I found the fifth sentence which says:-

'None of us can expect', he said, more pleasantly, 'every day to be a picnic. The calendar is made up of commonplace days, and after all that is best - the plain things of life are always best and last longest'. He looked urbanely from one to the other. Better to be married to - shall we say? - a minister like your father, the highest calling in the world, and pass your days in the homely atmosphere of a sheltered manse than be the dupe of false excitement and wordly show which cannot endure.

The Gowk Storm - I first heard this on BBC Radio 4 when I was travelling to work one morning, I loved it, and could not wait to order from the book store. It was first published in 1933. I was intrigued to learn what the word Gowk stood for and discovered that Gowk Storm - A storm of several days at the end of April or beginning of May; an evil or abstract obstruction of short duration.

It is a story of which the title predicts, an untimely fall of snow in early Spring - a fitting symbol for the anguished story that unfolds. Nearly a hundred years ago, three girls were born to a minister and his wife in remote Highland manse; the rigid patriarchal structure of the times is set against their approaching womanhood and growing awareness of life beyond the safety of home.

This award winning book was a Book Society Choice, went into eight impressions and was succcessfully dramatised.

Thank you Muddie for the Tag. Now I have to tag five others, but if you have arrived at my blog, you are truly tagged. So it's over to you. Enjoy.!!

4 comments:

Maddy said...

I have actually done that one, I've just not quite got around to posting it yet!
Cheers

Inthemud said...

Now, am I meant to do another? Probably not, so don't count me!

I'd not heard of this book, but it sounds an interesting read , so I will put it on my ever growing lists of books i must read!!

Thanks Camilla!

Cait O'Connor said...

I love the sound of this book, have not heard of it before! We should do more book recommendations methinks.
I have done the MEME.

Sandra Evertson said...

Lovely blog!
Sandra Evertson