John Keats - 1795-1821

John Keats - 1795-1821
A thing of beauty is a joy for ever: Its loveliness increases; it will never Pass into nothingness; but still will keep A bower quiet for us, and a sleep Full of sweet dreams, and health, and quiet breathing …

Tuesday 29 January 2008

Three Score Years


I cannot believe that sixty years has passed, and in that time what have I achieved on this glorious earth. My English Tutor at High School said on one of my reports, an exceptional piece of Composition, a joy to read. Ever since I can remember of being a child at an early age I always had my head in a book, to feel it's cover and be immersed into another world of fantasy. As I grew older I penned many a short story, or poem, some were not successful, others fortunately were to be published in various magazine's. Maybe one day I shall see a Novel of my hand sitting proudly on the shelf at Waterstones.

The 1960's were a truly memorable time for me, I am thankful I was a part of it, the era of 'Flower Power', The Beatles, The Rolling Stones, and mini skirts. A time of no Computers, no electric Typewriters, old coinage. A time where one could leave their door unlocked and not worry about passing strangers.

I was born in Westminster the heart of London, sixty years ago. I lived in a wonderful Town House just off the edge of Baker Street, a street famous for the Sherlock Holmes character. I loved London then, the shops in the City, the night life. Jazz Clubs where Ronnie Scott and Acker Bilk were on the venues. Tiffany's at Piccadilly, which was great for dancing, the Theatres in Shaftesbury Avenue, and of course a frequent visitor to the wonderful Tate Gallery, where I would often be seen spending many a lunch hour during my working day.

So what did I want to do with my life, I had dropped out of University much to my Mother's disagreement, something perhaps I will always regret. I perhaps did have a chance to pursue the path of Journalism, but went and blew it.

I was a tall skinny girl and mad about fashion, and so enrolled myself at Lucy Clayton's Modelling School, this put me in good stead for a career in Modelling in London mainly, where I secured good jobs at the top Couture Fashion Houses, the first being Worth's of Bond Street. I enjoyed my time in London mixing with the different stereo-types, but I soon got bored with this.

So off to Secretarial Collage, after receiving a Diploma I settled into a job working for a Cancer Charity in Dorset Square London where Arthur Askey's sister was my Manager. About this time I was already in a relationship with my future husband, and we were inseparable. Our parents were good friends, and we spent nearly every weekend and summers in Norfolk where my inlaws owned Cottages.

In the 1970's I pursued the path of Nursing, a career to which I would never have thought would tick all the boxes. My darling Mother was quite ill at the time, and when she passed away I was thankful to have least given something back in a way of respect of her. It was a very busy time for me, and my nursing was put on hold for a while until I raised a family.

Yet, I yearned for the country way of life, I wanted to live in a country cottage with Roses around the door, not to be part of the 'rat race' any more. I longed for the solitude and the country air, So here I am, deep in the Norfolk countryside, wonderful scenery, big Norfolk sky's, fantastic beaches, wonderful walks, and some lovely friends who live not far from me.

Then one day in the year of 2006/7 I opened up a certain Magazine and noticed a Columnist Competition to enter, I was curious I wanted to know more, so I decided to take a look on their website. I never did enter the Competition, but I enjoyed reading bloggers diary's, a diary of theirs that would lead to a member securing the winning award of Columnist.

I wont bore you all with the outcome of that Competition, for we all know what it led to, but I am so thankful that I did get to meet some wonderful friends, most of who are with us today. Who knows what may have happened if our darling Westerwitch and Happysnaper had not given us that olive branch, so we could continue our very special Purplecoo Gang.

Crystal has bestowed to me a Thoughtful Blogger award, thank you Crystal I am truly grateful.

Oh, apparantly I am a Snapdragon, caring and loving, but with a sense of mischief, oooh, can't resist a girlie prank..!!

I leave you with a piece by the writer Stefan Zweig (1881-1942) and a Poem.

Inspire

Nothing that has ever been thought and said with a clear mind and pure ethical strength is totally in vain; even if it comes from a weak hand and is imperfectly formed, it inspires the ethical spirit to constantly renewed creation.

The World Improvers

We have believed in too many things
We of little faith,
Have theorized too heedlessly
We of little hope,
Imposed our schemes for the world's good,
We of little love,
Thinking ourselves of too great worth,
We of little shame;
That we alone could pierce the dark,
We of little sight.

There is a candle which to each is given,
With a little, gentle flame,
Worldwide fires with ours we kindled,
Better had been a little light.

14 comments:

CAMILLA said...

Oops, sorry folks, seem to have put up Thoughtful Blogger Award twice. I will get the hang of this saved images on to blogs eventually. Blonde one here.!!

Blossomcottage said...

How strange that we have blogged on a similar subject I too have been kicking around for 60 years and I am a Snapdragon, must be the blogging flower! I too love the jazz and I modelled for a while Wella hair products mostly once modelled a very expensive fur coat, I shudder at the thought of it now! I veterinary nursed and love the country life and came this way via the Country Living Magazine. What a lot of similarites, I cannot think of anyone one I would like share similar likings with more than kind Bloomin Camilla.
Blossom x

Westerwitch/Headmistress said...

Well so I know two models now . . .preen preen . . thank you for the insight into your life Camilla - you have certainly tried a lot of things and I know you woud have always put 100% into everything you did and do . . .

I am so pleased to have met you and to be able to continue our friendship on Purplecoo - love and Hugs to you . . .

Anonymous said...

Hey Camilla - you can put up the Thoughtful Blogger Award as many times as you wish. Show it off, you deserve it. Here's to the next 60 years.

Crystal xx

Frances said...

Good evening to you Camilla.

After reading this lovely expression that may have arisen as you reached an important birthday, my comment is that I wish that you would write more blogs.

Everyone on this site knows what a caring person you are, and how you always tenderly remember all our occasions, needing times, and that you have perfect pitch.

This blog was a way for us to know more about you! You have got me curious to know more, and hope that this leap year will lead you to return to the art of the blog.

xo

Un Peu Loufoque said...

I think Camilla you have led a life many would envy and I also think you would have made a jolly good journalist. Poems are wonderful didnt know them now shall try and memorize them.

I am apparently a sunflower...whatever that means!

Holy Way said...

Hello Camilla - happy Birthday....a little late!

Hoping you are not too snowed in - and just to say thinking of you. You are indeed a very kind and caring thoughtful person - bless you

love Hopping Moon and Tumbling

Cait O'Connor said...

I am a snapdragon too, another thing in common. Two more years and I will be 60 too!
Lovely blog, what an interesting and varied life you have had so far.

CAMILLA said...

Thank you all for your lovely comments, so kind.

Camilla.xx

Inthemud said...

Your Thoughtful Blogger award is thoroughly deserved. You are such a kind and caring person.

Wonderful to hear about your life. 60 precious years, you've fitted in such a lot of interesting things,
Much love Elaine xx

Inthemud said...

You never found your owl blog then??? How frustrating!

Woozle1967 said...

Dear Camilla - so lovely to hear more of your life. Belated congratulations for your 60th and well done on your blogger award - truly, truly deserved.xxx

Faith said...

That was all very interesting indeed Camilla. I remember seeing the Lucie Clayton Modelling school advertised in magazines. My eldest was a model for many years, but somehow modelling in the 60's seems much more glam! You've done a lot of things in your life and it was great hearing about it.

Pondside said...

A belated Happy Birthday to you, Camilla. I enjoyed reading your mini-bio! I remember being so very envious of teens in London - we'd read about all that was going on there and we lived in (what we thought was) the back of beyond. Lovely blog!