John Keats - 1795-1821

John Keats - 1795-1821
A thing of beauty is a joy for ever: Its loveliness increases; it will never Pass into nothingness; but still will keep A bower quiet for us, and a sleep Full of sweet dreams, and health, and quiet breathing …

Monday 17 September 2007

HOMEWORK




I have done my Homework, Un Peu has tagged me, see original blog of BlossomCottage.




The smell of freshly baked cakes and bread, as a child I remember my mother's baking day for these on a Saturday. I would eagerly wait for the dough mixture to rise in the old Black Cooking Range. I liked to help of course, with several large old-fashioned mixing bowls and a wooden spoon. Loved to dip my finger into the uncooked ingredients before they were popped into the oven, then the joy of being able to taste and smell the delights when all was cooked.




Recently I treated myself to some Sherlock Holmes DVD'S, my favourite actor who portrays Sherlock for me has to be Jeremy Brett. Nothing better than on a cold winter's evening, by the warmth of the crackling fire, to relax and watch an episode acting out the lives amongst exciting excesses of Victorian London. The sound of the Horse's hooves over the Victorian cobbled strets, there is something quite wonderful about the sound of a Horse's gallop, or trot.




Bonfires in the garden, not the burning of fireworks, but the the smell of the twigs and bracken smouldering. Pine Cones blazing on the hearth, after one has collected them from the Pine Forest. The smell of it's perfume that fills the air, and also brings back memories of when my children were small and they would delight in being able to gather up as many as possible to stack into their baskets.




The sound of Church Bells ringing in the distance, my local Church with it's magnificent architecture, can be seen from my kitchen window. On a Sunday morning it's peel can be heard from across the fields.




The smell of my dogs fur, nothing nicer. All the devotion I give them is given right back, but I also believe that owning a pet can keep stress levels down. Stroking my furry friends prompts my brain to release "feel good" hormones, and helps calm me.




I have always been at one with children, I just adore to hear them talking and laughing, and no matter whose child in a family I happen to encounter, it fills my heart with a desire to listen as they express their personality.




The crunching of pure White snow beneath one's feet, not the slushy type, when the warmer air or rain has changed it's beauty.




The smell of a newborn baby, as you hold towards your skin, so wonderful.




I like to use a pen with a nib to write, dipped into a bottle of Royal Blue Ink, and hear the slight scratch of the quill as it touches the paper.




A smell of a book, be it freshly new from publication, or be it an old Antiquarian Edition, the joy has stayed with me from that since I read my first bok as a child.




Scent of a flower especially a Rose, with it's heady perfume, which can be quite intoxicating.




The sounds of birds singing and chirping, and a Pigeon or Dove cooing on a fresh new morning, with window open I glory in the sheer beauty of their beautiful voices.




A Poem




A RAINBOW




A rainbow arched the waterfall


Myriads of colours, shapes and sounds,


Everything kaleidoscopic


Against a blackdrop of rock,


Together we stood in awe


Glimpsing a miracle.




Then you offered me your hand


To help me climb the falls,


I climbed alone,


Choosing to be


Yet never wanting to be


A lonely poet.




Camilla.x


13 comments:

CAMILLA said...

Heck! A few spelling mistakes, probably because of lack of sleep for so many nights.

Camilla.x

Milla said...

I find your enthusiasm for life so enchanting. I'm sure my children would love you and want to swap their old bag of a camilla for a nice new version!

bradan said...

Lovely Camilla. I'm not sure what all this 'sounds and smells' is about as I haven't been able to get on here for a while, but you write about it very beautifully.

Hope all is well. xx

Anonymous said...

Congratulations on receiving your award. It is very well deserved.

Your list is very interesting. I had suspected you would be good with children. You seem such a gentle natured person and a lovely lady to know. If I could invent aroma-vision, I would send you a bunch of roses through the computer.

Crystal xx

Un Peu Loufoque said...

Beautiful Camilla, and I love the painting too I have never seen it befoe and like your sounds and smells it is a real delight.

Westerwitch/Headmistress said...

Lovely list . . lovely person. Big hug to you and hope Robbie is doing better . . .

Suffolkmum said...

That was gorgeous Camilla. So much I can relate to - children, bonfires, crisp crunching snow ... just lovely.

Sally Townsend said...

Some of these had me in another time another place Camilla so that I'm sitting here rather reflective ...

Anonymous said...

I love your list, lots of things there I would pick too. Church bells, I love the peal of church bells.

Posie said...

That was lovely,

CAMILLA said...

Thank you all for your comments, you are so kind.

Crystal - Thank you, Just your kind thought of sending me Roses is adequate for me, lovely.

Un Peu - I will let you know when I get time about the Artist of Picture, name escapes me at present.Thank you.

Milla - So kind, thank you. Your children would not part with my namesake, and I am sadly not that new anymore.

Camilla.x

Frances said...

Beautiful, Camilla, from beautiful Camilla.

Your homework reminded me of many favorites of mine. Just reading about some of them let me hear the sound, smell the scent. And I was happier because of that.

The poem delights me.

xo

Cait O'Connor said...

All beautiful........ picture, poem and blog.