John Keats - 1795-1821

John Keats - 1795-1821
A thing of beauty is a joy for ever: Its loveliness increases; it will never Pass into nothingness; but still will keep A bower quiet for us, and a sleep Full of sweet dreams, and health, and quiet breathing …

Tuesday 10 July 2007


ARE YOU BEING SERVED


I have always fancied a little Antiquarian Book Shop, with a snug tea-room alongside. Our village does not have a book shop, but then I suppose many order from the Internet now, or go to the larger towns for their purchases.


I remember watching the film 84 Charing Cross Road, which was focused on the famous book shop in the early 1950's in London. There was something nostalgic I felt about this film, shops that had a "tinkling" bell that would ring as you entered, the atmosphere would be a little dusty, and large wooden ladders would be placed against the shelves so that one could reach the top.

Years ago the Assistants seemed to have more time for you, they were polite, nowadays I have noticed that the people serving you are quite disinterested, and not always helpful. I long for a smile or a cheery wave, even the American twang, "Have A Nice Day"!


A Tea-Room - White linen tablecloths, with the lightest of Pale Pink Napkins, and Rosebud China. Finger sandwiches with a choice of fillings, Scones, dripped with Jam and Clotted Cream. A selection of Dainty Cakes on a tiered cake-stand.


On the subject of Consumers, here is a little ditty, taken from the Oxford Book of American Light Verse.


The grocer sells me addled eggs, the tailor

sells me shoddy,

I'm only a consumer, and I am not anybody.

The cobbler pegs me paper sales, the

dairyman short-weights me,

I'm only a consumer, and most everybody

hates me.


There's turnip in my pumpkin pie and

ashes in the pepper,

The world's my lazaretto, and I'm

nothing but a leper;


So lay me in my lonely grave and tread

the turf down flatter,

I'm only a consumer and it does'nt really

matter.


This is by no way any offence to our Darling Frances, from reading her diary's, I know that SHE is a most courteous, and polite person. No offence to Iota either, I just came across the poem the other day when looking through some old books of mine.


Did you know that there are three kinds of Tea-time in Britain, Afternoon Tea, Cream Tea, and High Tea. Well that has given me a thought, will go and put the kettle on now, I am going to call it my late evening cuppa!


Camilla.x

15 comments:

Cait O'Connor said...

It is nearly 1am but I had to come and read your blog as it has been a dream of mine and my daughter's to have a tea room and bookshop. We are kindred spirits I feel! Loved the poem too.
Night night, Nos Da.
Caitx

Wizzard said...

loved the little ditty
Wx

Elizabethd said...

Too many of these nice little shops are going out of business, that is sad. Big chains are the despoilers of our rural life.
No message so far, Camilla. Hope your husband is well, mine is finding that anti coagulants make him very tired.

Anonymous said...

That was lovely, Camilla. You have made me yearn for a cream tea! Hot buttered scone with strawberry jam and clotted cream, cup of tea to accompany. Mmmmm!

We have a fabulous second hand book shop in Alnwick called Barter Books. Although, I am as guilty as the next person for buying off the internet. I suppose it's for convenience.

Crystal xx

Milla said...

I love your list and poem (below) but didn't know if you'd find a comment if I put it on there. Off to chomp on a scone now, but with coffee, can't abide tea (and I call myself English??!)

bodran... said...

OOOOhh just fancy scones now..xx

Eden said...

Ooh could do with a new tea room here. My favourite is the tea room in Ludlow. Wonder if anybody knows it. They still wear black dresses with white pinnies and bring you 'fancies' on a three tiered silver plated cake stand. Too adorable. I order them and then feel sick after all the cream. You've made me feel I need to go and put the kettle on!

countrymousie said...

We have several little tea rooms and combined shops here but alas the little independent book shop
has closed as they couldnt compete with Amazon. We do have a very good second hand book shop which is a real treasure.

bradan said...

That would be wonderful, Camilla, a tea room and a bookshop!
I hope your husband is feeling better. xx

CAMILLA said...

Thank you all so much for commenting. Bradan, thank you for your concern, my husband has had more bloods taken, he awaits the results on Friday re his Kidneys.
Elizabethd, I did leave you personal message, will see you later.
Camilla.x

Anonymous said...

if you do get a tea room i could be your asstiant i would love to it hope you are well and i will be i heasham in september xx jep

Holy Way said...

Hello Camilla - thanks for your comments - I have felt stronger in myself since the purplecoo hug - it made a real difference to us both!
I so hope your husbands results are good - sending you much love and hope ...
I love the idea of a bookshop/tea room - sounds pretty perfect to me - just what we need here!!!

Pondside said...

Yes, a tea room would be perfect. How about a Purple tea room?
I've always wished to have a cream tea - whatever that is, it sounds delicious. I imagine that it must be a big sort of tea with strawberry preserves and thick sweet cream.
Sadly, small stores are going the way of the Dodo bird and service is non-existant. Welcome to the big box universe!

@themill said...

If you ever venture to Northumberland there is an exquisite little tea room at Howick hall. It was the home of Earl Grey (inventor of the eponymous tea)and is situated in the old Orangery. Not surprisingly it is called the Earl Grey Tearooms.
And I notice Crystal has mentioned Barter Books. Housed in the old Alnwick railway station,you can get lost in there for days.

Exmoorjane said...

Lovely picture. There used to be a super bookshop and tea room in East Grinstead when I was a teenager....fabulous.
jxx