John Keats - 1795-1821

John Keats - 1795-1821
A thing of beauty is a joy for ever: Its loveliness increases; it will never Pass into nothingness; but still will keep A bower quiet for us, and a sleep Full of sweet dreams, and health, and quiet breathing …

Monday 2 July 2007

HOW TO - HAVE FEELINGS


This morning I drove to my friends house to check that the cat was alright, and to leave her a bowl of food and water. This I do twice a day, morning and evening while my friend is visiting her family in Spain. I am usually greeted by several Shrews (Dead) I may add, in the hallway, for Flopsy Bunnie has a liking for them. As I was leaving the house I thought that it had been several days that I had seen Mrs Green's cat old Fudgy, who sometimes appears when I come to the house. Fudgy is not allowed in his owner's home I presume, Mrs Green has two Alsations. Why on earth do people own animals if they canot be bothered to look after them, stroke them, feed them, keep them in on a cold winter's night.

I remembered my friend had given instructions for the Gardener to come and mow the lawn while she was away. Could it be that Fudgy had slipped into the garage where gardening tools were kept, and Gardener had inadvertantly locked her in there by mistake, if indeed the cat had wandered in. The spare garage key luckily was on the kitchen work-surface, as I unlocked the garage door I was met by a wailing cat who had come running down the step-ladder from the rafters, he had been in there since Saturday morning apparantly, as that is when the Gardener had been last to mow the lawn, after I rang him. I told him to please check the garage in future to make sure old Fudgy is not in there.

This afternoon I decided to stop off at the local grocery store, I had only intended to buy a few items, but as I walked around the counters the list that I had made up beforehand had somewhat got longer. Going to the checkout I was served by a young lady who obviously did not see any reason to smile, and said to me, "I am going to put all your items in ONE plastic bag". Er - um, sorry, if I know plastic bags the sheer weight of anything inside causes them to split open usually halfway out the shop. I absolutely loathe plastic bags, when will the day come when they do away with them and issue nice strong ones. They are alright for light fashion items, do not have a problem with those. "Er, have you a cardboard box"? - "No, we dont, I'm sure you'll manage". Excuse me, but I am not paying a fortune by my way of custom, the shop would stop trading if it was not for us customers.

I saw a Blackbird gathering up bits of twigs today, she flew into our hedge, thought that nesting had finished now. Luckily I have not had the hedge clipped yet, when is a good time for this to be done I wonder.

I read that apparantly everyone would be a lot happier if they did'nt have feelings. A person can endure incredible physical hardship and be none the worse for it, but the very same person can be almost destroyed by a casual comment that hurts their feelings.

Hope you like the picture, cat is saying - "Just a minute Guv, that Mousie dinner is mine"!

Thank you to Dear Westerwitch, and to everyone else who left me messages on the concern of my husband. He is resting comfortably at home, but can do no tasks and is still very weak and tired. He is awaiting more blood results so will know more later next week hopefully. I send my deepest sympathy to our Dear Muddie on her uncle, and so too to our Dear Brownmouse who has a bereavment in her family. Sending sympathy to Blossom's daughter who sadly lost her beloved dog Charlie just recently.

Camilla.x

18 comments:

Anonymous said...

I agree about the animals and pets. They are for LIFE not just for when you feel like a bit of company.

Plastic bags are indeed a pain. They are fortunately recyclable but as shops are getting reluctant to give them out these days,some are even charging for them, I wonder what we are supposed to put our shopping into. Perhaps we have to supply our own carriers. Looks like Angel will have her work cut out!

Crystal xx

annakarenin said...

The problem with no feelings is you would be denied the emotional extremes that make life interesting. I can understand though how your emotions could do with a let up at the moment how frustrating to not have answers about your husband.

It is awful how some people treat their animals they obviously have cracked the no feelings side of things??

I have noticed Milla putting in a few comments recently so hopefully it is a sign that she will return now the dust is settling a little I suppose it is all down to the emotions that we are vulnerable too.

Bluestocking Mum said...

Ditto AnnaK's comments. I sometimes wish I wasn't as sensitive as I am. But without the lows we wouldn't appreciate the 'highs.'

Am sure you will be pleased to have hubby home with you where he belongs...

warm wishes (to you both)
xx

Elizabethd said...

Best wishes to your husband, I hope he will soon be 'on form'. You go through such agonies of worry when they are unwell, and it leaves me feeling helpless. Take care of yourself, Camilla.

Chris Stovell said...

Poor Fudgy - what a good job you remembered him. I think overyone needs a little kindness and compassion, those are the sorts of feelings I'm in favour of. Best wishes to you and your husband, I hope he continues to feel better.

Blossomcottage said...

I am so fed up with plastic bags I have taken to folding left over pieces of material (from my unholstry and dressmaking)in half wizzing up the sides with the machine and putting couple of webbing handles on them, they take about ten minutes and are much nicer than plastic, some are quite posh Andrew Martin(Dinning Room Curtains)Laura Ashley ( Old teachest recovered) etc. Thanks for your kind thoughts for Gemma she was quite taken aback by everyones kindness.
Blossom

Faith said...

Camilla, you are so sweet caring for everyone on here, and other people's pets, esp when you have your own problems.

I have a nice big strong jute bag that I take shopping wth me. I just have to remember to put it back in the car after I have unpacked it.

Unknown said...

I get my shopping delivered and the way they pack the goods at the store sometimes beggars belief. Last weekend, they sent about half a dozen larger items without bothering to put them in a carrier bag - but then put one tiny sachet of Options hot chocolate in a bag all by itself!!

I hope your husband feels better soon. It's such a worry when they are unwell.

Well done for saving poor little Fudgy - don't suppose her owner would have thought of looking in there! If they thought of her at all. Criminal isn't it?

Pondside said...

Good questions - why have an animal in your life if you're not prepared to really care for it?
I hope each day brings a little more healing for your husband.

Grouse said...

Not feeling isnot really living. Compassion is food for the soul. Its what we pay for the joy in life. I heard that a woman had left the family's pet rabbit behind when evacuated last week and have been worrying about since.
SO, my compassionate friend- you have been tagged! 5 mood-boosters, please.
So pleased husband is home and on the mend.

CAMILLA said...

Oh Grouse, that has left me with what to put up! I have been tagged!
Busy busy today, but I hope to do five mood-boosters.
Camilla.x

Pondside said...

Hi again - I meant to ask - where are the families from your village going? Are they coming for school or is it a permanent move?

Milla said...

thanks for your comments on Pipany's, Camilla, you are such a generous person always to be thinking of others when your own life must be in turmoil. Great picture - is it really real! Have you LOOKED at those eyes on that cat! Mad or what!

Elizabethd said...

Camillaa, our supermerkets here now refuse to give plastic bags. They provide big, horrible dayglo colored ones that you can buy, not expensive and recyclable. If i didnt forget to take it with me most times it would be a really good thing to have!
This posted Thursday, how is your husband?

Frances said...

Hello from New York on Thursday night to you Camilla.

Best wishes to your husband. Glad that he is home, and know that he will be getting best of care from you.

That lucky cat certainly got good care from you!

I love animals, and for that reason would never have a pet of my own in my tiny apartment. Some folks seem to have pets sort of like accessories. Trendy dog like trendy hand bag.

The dog and cat in your photo are just amazing. I agree with Milla, are those two for real?

Plastic bags, and all sorts of other about-to-be-landfill items are something to think about daily.

At our shop, we use paper carrier bags with cloth straps for carrying them over one's shoulder.

We try to re-cycle lots of the plastic that comes to us from the manufacturing factories. The plastic hangers are sent on to a neighborhood charity thrift shop.

I have even shredded the factory-sent plastic bags and crocheted the strips into tote bags. A bit fanciful, but fun and it did give another life to that plastic.

xo

Inthemud said...

What a great photo!

Camilla, thanks for your message. How is your hubby doing?

May I Tag you to do 5 things that help keep you positive or help get you out of the doldrums? That is if you haven't done it already.

CAMILLA said...

Thank you for your message Muddie, Grouse has already tagged me. I do hope to put up 5 Mood Boosters this weekend, if I can find time with my daughter's recent move, House Warming Party this evening, thank you Dear Muddie.
Camilla.xx

CAMILLA said...

Thank you to all who left me comments, most kind.
Camilla.x