John Keats - 1795-1821

John Keats - 1795-1821
A thing of beauty is a joy for ever: Its loveliness increases; it will never Pass into nothingness; but still will keep A bower quiet for us, and a sleep Full of sweet dreams, and health, and quiet breathing …

Friday 13 July 2007

THE PROMS


I watched the Proms this evening from The Royal Albert Hall, with the BBC Symphony Orchestra. Paul Watkins played Cello for Elgar's Cello Concerto, what a beautiful piece of music, absolutely took my breath away. It marks the 150th Anniversary of the composer's birth. I agree with what the BBC Commentator said, Paul Watkins is one of the best Cellist's in the land. He played Elgar's piece magnificently, he also won the Lead Conductor, and is a gifted Piano Player.


Another favourite, Enigma Variations, which captures the sense of lonliness of the Artist. The middle section of this theme has a good basis for the variations, because of it's shape, is so simple and so clear. It has a puzzle about the Theme - a secret to the Theme, an Enigma.


Next - Beethoven's 9th Choral Symphony, quite an unstable piece, and was Beethoven's first performance in Vienna. It is quite a long piece, almost twenty-five minutes in all, but wonderful all the same, accompanied by the Mass Choir of Symphony Chorus.


Can one imagine not having music, to think that these great composer's in their time, are still being listened to today, ah, what gifts. I am looing forward to Shakespeare's Macbeth from Glyndbourne, and W.H.Auden's Anniversary, another literary celebration.


I came home from my Community rounds this afternon feeling quite exhausted, (must be my age!). I walked my two dogs over the fields, a pleasant warm July evening and the big vast Norfolk sky, looking out to me. Home again, I cooked a lovely Chicken Casserole which went down a treat, not forgetting some of the Beaujolaise. Then I fell into the Chesterfield, dogs laying beside me, grateful after their long walk and doggie dinners. I listened to The Proms and I was carried away into this beautiful luxurious sound of music, oh I wish I could play the Violin or Cello.


I have not forgotten the Big Party this evening at 9pm, if Headmistress allows, I would like to wear my long Pink dress with matching gloves and shoes, let's hope I dont trip up on the sheer length of it!


Camilla.x


3 comments:

snailbeachshepherdess said...

Love the proms...lovely blog. Have just been to the one below as well..I love that poem! There is exactly what you desire near here ...a book shop with a tea room ..except its stripped pine, a jumble of old school and kitchen chairs, mismatched mugs and plates and sells paper lanterns and wind chimes as well..however my boys and I have spent many a winter afternoon in there searching for books and sipping heavy mugs of scalding tea while a sleeping cat lies in a woodturned bowl under the rack of silver jewellry

Anonymous said...

Good Morning Camilla! I wrote a story a while ago and the lead character is called 'Camilla' - one of my favourite names. (Bit of useless info for the start of the day!)

Reading about you listening to Enigma Variations must have been wonderful. Nimrod is my most ultimate favourite piece of music ever. We played it at my dad's funeral and 400 people, packing into the church, sat still as statues and listened to every chord. It was a highly moving moment.

I'm not one to boast (I don't like it personally) but I play the violin. Very badly I might add, I used to play in a small orchestra a long long time ago.

Crystal xx

toady said...

I too was blown away by the Proms last night. I went to a first night many years ago as a promenader, I can remember they did Walton's Facade and being very hot and sweaty. Thinking on it was 40 years ago - that's very scary. Toady